CBD: The Best Anti-inflammatory, Anti-Cancer, Anti- Anxiety Superfood
As more and more states are passing the law that legalizes the use of cannabis for medical purpose, interest in its benefits and impact on the human body is growing steadily.
While it has been known and used since ages, it recently regained the spotlight when its therapeutic potential came under the scanner. Numerous animal and human studies have exhibited significant potential for the treatment of various disorders ranging from pain, migraines, nausea and diabetes to cancer, epilepsy, arthritis and autoimmune diseases.
What is CBD?
CBD is a type of cannabinoid, which is a chemical found in marijuana plants. However, unlike the controversial compound THC, it is not psychoactive and does not give you a feeling of being high, stoned or intoxicated.
It is also not addictive as it does not bind to the receptor in the brain which is responsible for producing addiction. CBD offers therapeutic effect and finds its use in different medical and recreational purposes.
Different strains of cannabis have different levels of CBD present in them. If you are seeking relief from anxiety, it is best to buy a strain that is high in CBD and low in THC like Acd. Most of the CBD used for its medical benefits is derived from the cannabis plant called Hemp.
As the awareness around the potential benefits of CBD is growing, it is getting wider use in the health industry and approval from lawmen.
How does it work?
Our bodies produce certain cannabinoids that affects inflammation, pain and mood. CBD influences the body to use more of its cannabinoids and work more efficiently without acting on the receptors for these cannabinoids.
Let’s take a look at some of the most effective use of CBD in the treatment of these diseases:
- Cancer – Animal studies have shown that cannabinoids inhibit cancer cell growth while protecting the normal cells and significantly improved the survival rates. Besides the anti-tumor properties, Cannabinoids have been shown to protect against inflammation and is especially found to be beneficial in cancer related to colon, breast, liver, glioma.
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) has suggested CBD as a potential therapeutic for relieving symptoms caused by chemotherapy. Hence it is being prescribed by doctors to treat nausea, vomiting and pain that accompanies cancer chemotherapy and makes the therapy more effective.
- Anxiety – A recent study showed promising results in CBD’s efficiency in reducing anxiety behaviors related to multiple disorder including
- social anxiety disorder,
- panic disorder,
- obsessive-compulsive disorder,
- generalized anxiety disorder, and
- post-traumatic stress disorder.
Another research published by National Library of Medicine, found that CBD has great psychiatric potential, including uses as an antidepressant and anxiolytic.
However, long-term use or abuse can make the individual more vulnerable to anxiety. More research on its effect on prolonged use is required to understand the potential risks.
- Inflammation – In a 2008 study, CBD was found to effectively suppress inflammation associated with a number of diseases and helps reduce related chronic pain without any adverse side effects. Research has also proved CBD to be helpful in a number of inflammatory diseases including
- intestinal inflammation,
- High glucose-induced endothelial cell inflammation, and
- attenuates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by decreasing oxidative/nitrosative stress, inflammation, and cell death.
- CBD was also noted to be beneficial in treating insomnia related to chronic pain as well as sclerosis. It has been found to be effective in inflammatory pain management in a number of chronic inflammation diseases, like sickle cell disease.
Additionally, a 2016 study found that it has the potential to curtail pain and inflammation associated with arthritis. While another 2017 study suggested that it may be a safe and useful for treating OA joint neuropathic pain.
CBD is considered to be generally safe and side effects on short term use were mostly mild. Some of the possible side effects are –
- Appetite loss
- Short-term memory loss and
Risk and Consideration
Federal law prohibits prescribing cannabis and hence the states that allow medical marijuana needs doctor’s approval in the form of “recommendations”. If your state approves, you can then fill an online application and receive and ID to be able to purchase from an approved dispensary or online marketplace.
More long term research is required to ascertain its effect especially on the children.
Some individuals are allergic to CBD oil and it is recommended to first do a patch test on hand.
CBD shows a lot of promise to be used for treatment of inflammatory diseases, cancer and anxiety without exerting any lasting side effect. It is best to consult a doctor to find whether it can be useful for you, the correct dose and if it interferes with any of your current medication.